Sunday, April 27, 2014

Vietnamese dead's anniversary



I have just booked tickets for my son and me to go on a trip to visit my family in Vietnam.  This time I will join in my grandfather’s death anniversary party.  In Vietnam the dead ceremony is a painful event but the death anniversary is not, except for the first few years when the family is still feeling the pain because of the lost.  Generally, about 3 years after the member passes is when the family gets over the loss, and the death anniversary becomes more like a party for everyone to gather to enjoy foods and talk stories about everything in memory of the person who passed away.  Basically, my family will make a lot of food and invite relatives, neighbors and friends to come over to eat.  Each guess will bring a gift such as fruits, beer, wine, or meat to the party.  When they go home everyone will have a small bag of snacks to bring home.  I remembered when I was young I loved to wait for my dad or my mom come home so I could have some snacks to eat.   The Snacks are usually cookies, fruits or sweet mochi or sometimes it is a leftover food from the party.  My grandfather passed away almost 20 years ago but every year his death anniversary is important to us because it is a chance for a family reunion, and have a good time eating food. I can’t wait for this even.


1 comment:

  1. That's very interesting! Hope you share lots of good stories about your grandfather during his death anniversary.

    ReplyDelete